Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Georgia Peach

Years and years ago (about eight), I was surfing around eBay and came upon the most incredible seller with the most amazing array of wares I had ever seen, all in one cyber place. I wrote her a fan letter of sorts, telling her I was just getting started and how I admired her inventory. She answered right back, with the sweetest letter. She also poured out her seller's heart to me, giving me lists of the things that sold well for her. She goes by the name of KJ.

We became fast friends and about a year after we "met," my son and I flew to Georgia to meet KJ and her daughter. Her family and mine thought it rather odd for me to visit her, and odd for her to welcome two strangers into her home. Not us though, we were like two peas in a pod. Two single moms trying to make ends meet and raise decent, productive children. We drove from Atlanta to Orlando to visit Disney World. It was mid-October and all the Halloween decorations were up. I think that's when I miss KJ the most, at Halloween time.

All four of us stayed in the same hotel room. We shopped and shopped and shopped. In fact, on the way home her car was so stuffed we had to squeeze our kids into the backseat. The shopping was for things to re-sell, of course. KJ has been to Disney World a million times. This was the first trip for my son and I. It's where we turned off the lights to go to sleep, and my little guy announced, "I can't see a sing." It's where he also grabbed the microphone on the parking tram and began to give instructions to the passengers. I can honestly say, that was the best vacation I've ever had.

Now KJ's daughter is in her second year at Annapolis. How incredible is that? She is smart, independent and grounded. And my son, although he can give me fits, never fails to disappoint in public. He is kind, respectful and helpful. He's growing into a fine young man.

KJ is still single. She works as hard as ever to pay the bills. She has amazing determination and "hustle." To make it in this business requires long, long days. I tell her often that she inspires me, but I don't know if she believes me. So I will say it here. KJ never moans and groans, never whines about her circumstances. She is the most non-complaining person I've ever met. She thanks God for His blessings as she goes about her daily work.

I miss you KJ, and I am honored to have you in my life!

1 comment:

Sue said...

What an awesome tribute to your friend and your friendship with her...Hope you two get to see each other again and soon!

Glad to see you are back and mended! Have a GREAT weekend!