Friday, October 24, 2014

Wine

I don't "get" the whole wine "thing."  It's grapes, mashed up, mixed with other grapes, stored in various wood barrels until it ferments.  People devote their lives (well, at least their careers) to mashed up and fermented grapes.

My first exposure to wine came when I reached drinking age.  I would order white wine and got whatever that particular establishment served as their house wine.  I never really liked the taste and quite often would order half wine and half 7-Up.  Then, after the first few sips I would begin to feel tipsy.  A light weight.  A cheap date.  Definitely.  Maybe if I could hold my liquor better, I might have enjoyed it more.  But then there's the issue of the taste.

Perhaps a "fine" wine would be pleasing to my palate.  Perhaps I've cheated myself all these years, by never trying anything but cheap stuff.  That opens up a fresh can of worms though, because spending a lot of money on something you drink does not mesh with my logical side.  How much is a decent bottle of wine, served at home?  I'm going to guess and say $50.00.  Even if I acquired a taste for the better class of wine, I can think of so many more practical things to do with $50.00.  Even if  you drop the wine price to $25.00, that money could buy some cool craft supplies, plants for the yard or be put toward something for the house or a vacation.

Why do I want to spend good money on something that slides down my throat, only to make me want to go to sleep 30 minutes later.  Lastly, more often than not, alcohol does not bring out the best in people.  I was married to an alcoholic and the personality change was stunning.  I don't want to be around someone who has one too many and undergoes even the smallest of personality changes.  Like, they become argumentative, loud, demanding, or unreasonable.  Then there are the physical symptoms.  Drink too much and then throw it all up.  Charming.

I don't enjoy spending time with people who are under the influence.  Even if it's the happy, boisterous kind of under the influence, I think it's obnoxious.  And, inevitably, things are said and done which should not be said or done.

Let me close by saying I'm quite aware there are MANY people who can enjoy a glass or two of wine, either with a meal or alone, and not morph into some kind of monster.  And what people choose to spend their money on is their business.  For me, I don't see the value in fine wine.  I will occasionally spend the afternoon cooking up an authentic Italian meal where a touch of the grape sounds extremely appealing.  For those meals I'll toddle on over to the grocery store and pick up a bottle of sparkling grape cider.  $3.79 and I'm golden.

No comments: