Saturday, August 22, 2009

Back to School Shopping

The day after I found out I was pregnant, I began to haunt the thrift stores in search of all things baby related. Okay, it was mainly clothes. That's how I've always shopped for my son. Occasionally he has been given clothing that was NWT (new with tags), but until he was about 12, he didn't know you could buy clothes at stores other than Value Village and Goodwill.

I knew once the teenage years were upon us that he would become very conscious of his wardrobe. But, all the seeds I have planted about being a good steward with your money did take root. He is far less materialistic than most kids his age.

I had received a $10 gift card in the mail from a store called Kohl's. I also signed up to receive emails from J.C. Penney, and their thank you to me was a $10 coupon. Neither of these had any minimum purchase requirements. This afternoon I discovered both offers expired today! So I told my son we would go shopping after dinner.

As we were walking out the door I reminded him I had to write a $542 check on Monday, for his tuition. Next to food and shelter, his schooling is the highest priority. It has been that way since kindergarten and now as he enters high school, nothing has changed.

At Kohl's I got him a VANS hoodie and a Tony Hawk t-shirt. Final total was $34.23 after the sales and the $10 gift card. At J.C. Penney he got two pairs of blue jeans and a new pillow for his bed. Total spent was approximately $36.00. I was able to obtain a whole lot of information regarding which brands are cool. Now I can begin shopping at the thrift stores for said cool brands.

It is funny to write about it here, but both my son and I were like two fish out of water at these retail stores. I told him, "Wow it feels weird to buy brand new clothes" and he quickly agreed with me. We had a very nice time. He even smiled a few times.....really.

No comments: