Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Mini Sneak Peek & Juneau, the Scary Dog


Here is the front cover (duh) of my book for my (step) daughter, Sara. I really don't like the word "step" when referring to family, but if I leave it off, people will say - hey, I thought you only had one child. Sara is 21 and lives about two hours away, at the coast. We don't see her very often, and I miss her.

Anyway, this is a 4"x4" book. I plan to photograph all of it tomorrow, and then it will be on the way to Sara. It is my third book and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The Tim Holtz ticket would not be on the front had Cindy not been kind enough to stamp the image a bunch of times and mail them to me. And, had I not punched a hole in the wrong place. Trying to be a big girl and learn the Big Bite all by myself!

I wish I could say we spent a quiet evening at home, but that wasn't the case. Juneau, and his noises....words cannot describe, except to say he could record a sound track for a haunted house. He took his position at guard, even before the trick-or-treaters arrived. That position is on the loveseat in front of the window, leaning over the back of it. Lots of growls (some soft, some very deep) and his trademark "woo woo woo" which doesn't sound like any noise a regular dog would make. It's incredibly loud and shrill, done with his head thrown back.

We live at the end of a dead-end street, and have a relatively long driveway. When you add Juneau into the mix, it can be rather scary, even on days other than October 31st. Parents looked through the window and admired him. Some kids were fine, but most of them looked very concerned. And one little boy said, "I almost didn't come up here." The funny part is he would not leave his position on the couch. He's actually very scared of strangers and his usual response is to run in the opposite direction. Unless you're a FedEx driver who stares him in the eyes and challenges him.

That was our (boring) Halloween. Hope yours was a tad more exciting :).

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Your cover looks awesome.
I have yet to work on mine.
I understand the not liking the word "step" My dad (step) just passed away a few months ago. I was his main care giver. He raised me since I was about 2 or 3 yrs old. And we talked everyday.He was there for me every day, he was my dad. My birth dad...only a few weeks in the summer.
We never used the words step.

JustaFewDesigns said...

Hi there my friend. I love your mini!!! All I can say about your FedEx guy is "Dumb FedEx guy"! lol Never challange a dog you will lose! lol I love your dog stories. And Im with you on using the Step word, but I too have to use it when it comes to my step son, cause if I say his my son people tend to start doing the math and then look at me like..."You floosie!" See I am only 12 years older than he is! lol Thanks for sharing your art, your dog, you stories and your advice! Much appreciated!!!
hugs
Elsa