Saturday, February 28, 2009

.....tHe bReAKiNg POinT

Everyone has their breaking point and today I reached mine. Girl Scout Cookies. $4.00 a box. Yes I know, it's for a good cause. Yes, I know it isn't the fault of the Girl Scouts. I'm sorry, really I am. But I am not paying $4.00 a box, even for Thin Mints.

I was a Girl Scout in the 70's, and if memory serves (and it often doesn't) the cookies were $1.00 a box then. Fast forward to 1994, when I was pregnant. We bought a CASE of Thin Mints and kept them in the freezer. The perfect guilty pleasure for a person eating for two. I can't recall what they cost then. It seems they've been $3.00 for the longest time.

Upon leaving the grocery store today I walked past the card table with the girls and the mom. Imagine my horror when they told me the price. I said, "Weren't they $3.00 a box last year?" I was informed they were $3.50 last year. I didn't look, but I betcha the amount of cookies and/or their weight is less than last year too.

It's sad. Or maybe I am the sad one for posting about the price of Girl Scout cookies? They have joined the resized restaurant beverage glass, the smaller restaurant dinner plate, the half gallon of ice cream that no longer is. Come to think of it, this must REALLY bother me, because I posted recently about the one pound box of candy which is now 12 ounces. I find a great deal of symbolism in the shrinking of consumer goods. That must be it.

2 comments:

Sue said...

MMMMMMM...this may ruffle your feathers even more (LOL) but I paid $3.50 this year. Same as last. Wonder what's up with that???

(Did you read my answer to your comment on my blog about "Black Friday"?

Jess said...

I hate it I hate it!

I knwo exactly what you mean... highway robbery!


Have a great new week

Love, Jess