Sunday, February 22, 2009

Question of the Day * Parenting

Since there are no perfect people, it follows there are no perfect parent(s) either. I think we all try to pass along to our kids the good things our parents gave to us. I also think we try to put an end to certain other generational things that aren't so positive.

For me, I was determined not to criticize my son the way my father criticized me. I remember a conversation I had with his 4th grade teacher (she had also been his 3rd grade teacher). I was explaining my childhood and my goal of instilling in my son a healthy self-esteem. She told me, "Oh you don't have to worry about that. You have succeeded." It was said with just enough sarcasm to convey the feeling she thought I had 0verdone it. That's okay - better to err on the side of too much instead of not enough.

What do you do differently than your parents did? What one thing were/are you determined to change to make a better life for your child or children?

2 comments:

Jess said...

I don't know whether to answer or not since mom blogs too...lol

Ummm I think my mom kept me too sheltered...i was an only child and she was very fristrated with me and I got on her nerves plus our personalities are just enough alike to crash and then add teenage years and attitudes on top....man...let's just say i was a daddy's girl...lol

Love your blog always...

have a great week...and sorry i dont come by often enough... im so busy!

But i love your comments and visits i promise!

Love, Jess

Sue said...

I told my mother I would NEVER raise a child the way she raised me. Well guess what????

I was an only child. My daughter is an only child. Looking back, there are SO MANY things I wish I had done differently!!! I think mothers who have more than 1 child must SURELY get it right at some point. LOL