Wednesday, February 25, 2009

~ A Sweet Little Story ~


Parenthood provides us with precious jewels in the form of memories. Some shine more brightly than others, and tonight I will share one of my favorites.

When my son Jacob (aka Cob) was about five years old, we were visiting the home of my then-boyfriend/now-husband, Geoff (aka Feff - yes, he hates being called that). Geoff and I were lying (or is it laying?) on top of his bed, watching TV. We each had our own pillow. It was completely proper. Jacob was in the living room, watching cartoons on the big TV.

The phone rang. And you know how little kids love to answer phones. Before Geoff could get to it, Jacob had the phone in his hand. Next thing you hear is Jacob saying, "No, he's lying down with Mama." Geoff took the phone and spoke with the person. Turns out it was the Portland Coast Guard station, calling to inform him they were leaving on a rescue call. They were required to notify him any time a boat left the dock.

Geoff came back into the bedroom, with a rather blank look on his face and shaking his head. I asked if the person on the other end was laughing. He said, "No, but I'm sure he was thinking....geez.....they let the kid watch?"

No comments: